Give Back to Nature Tour
- Duration: 3 Days (approx.)
- Location: Owaka, South Otago
- Product code: P9VA0X
Join local conservationists Gordon and Janine Thompson and explore The Catlins during the day
- and after dark. As part of your Catlins “Give Back to Nature” adventure you
will take part in a local conservation project, helping to protect our
critically endangered Yellow-eyed penguin and Long-tailed bat, gaining access
to a unique conservation area not normally accessible to members of the public.
* You will learn how to interact appropriately with native wildlife and be supplied with a personal
guide pack to get the most out of your self guided day.
* We will gather together for a meal at a local restaurant before heading out to experience nature in the night
* We will help make your holiday sustainable by planting trees in Earthlore’s
Insect Conservation Habitat.
* You will meet Inspector Insector and go on a guided tour of Earthlore Wildlife Gardens to learn about
our work conserving native insects.
*Become a Wildlife Guardian.
*One to two hours working on a
local conservation project.
* After dark guided nature experience.
*A five minute wildlife count.
*A donation to local conservation.
*Planting trees to offset your travel.
*Meet Inspector Insector and
learn about his work inspiring children to care for nature
*Tour of Earthlore Wildlife Gardens.
What you take home:
*Personal guide pack
*Wildlife guardianship cap
*Tea, coffee and muffins – morning.
*Picnic lunch at Long Point.
*Tea, coffee or hot drink –
Day two – begins in the evening:
*Dinner at a local restaurant.
*Coffee and cake at Lenz reserve.
Day three – morning:
*Tea, coffee and muffins.
What to bring:
*wet weather clothing
*sunscreen, sun hat and woollen
*medications should you
Earthlore will pick you up at your accommodation and provide transport for each day’s activities (excluding
your self guided day.)
We shall provide insect repellent, gardening gloves, tools, mulch, and tree protectors along with reference
books to help ID local native wildlife, and binoculars for you to borrow.
There are toilets at Earthlore, Long Point and Lenz reserve. See the map in the personal guide pack
provided for other public toilets in the area.
There are eateries, a hotel, a supermarket and a museum/information centre in the Owaka Township, along with a medical centre.